1. Dvornik D, Simard-Duquesne N, Krami M, et al. Polyol accumulation in galactosemic and diabetic rats: control by an aldose reductase inhibitor. Science 1973;182:1146-1148.
2. Tomlinson DR, Willars GB, Carrington AL. Aldose reductase inhibitors and diabetic complications. Pharmacol Ther 1992;54:151-194.
3. Pfeifer MA, Schumer MP, Gelber DA. Aldose reductase inhibitors: the end of an era or the need for different trial designs? Diabetes 1997;46(Suppl 2):S82-S89.
4. Dyck PJ, O'Brian PC. Meaningful degrees of prevention or improvement of nerve conduction in controlled clinical trials of diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes Care 1989;12: 649-652.
5. Culebras A, Alio J, Herrera JL, Lopez-Fraile IP. Effect of an aldose reductase inhibitor on diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Arch Neurol 1981;38:133-134.
6. Handelsman DJ, Turtle JR. Clinical trial of an aldose reductase inhibitor in diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes 1981;30:459-464.
7. Fagius J, Jameson S. Effects of aldose reductase inhibitor treatment in diabetic polyneuropathy—a clinical and neurophysiological study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatr 1981;44: 991-1001.
8. Judzewitsch RG, Jaspan JB, Polonsky KS, et al. Aldose reductase inhibition improves nerve conduction velocity in diabetic patients. N Engl J Med 1983;308:119-125.
9. Jaspan J, Maselli R, Herold K, Bartkus C. Treatment of severely painful diabetic neuropathy with an aldose reductase inhibitor: relief of pain and improved somatic and autonomic nerve function. Lancet 1983;ii:758-762.
10. Young RJ, Ewing DJ, Clarke BF. A controlled trial of sorbinil, an aldose reductase inhibitor, in chronic painful diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes 1983;32:938-942.
11. Lewin IG, O'Brien AD, Morgan MH, Corrall RJM. Clinical and neurophysiological studies with the aldose reductase inhibitor, sorbinil, in symptomatic diabetic neuropathy. Diabetologia 1984;26:445-448.
12. Fagius J, Brattberg A, Jameson S, Berne C. Limited benefit of treatment of diabetic neuropathy with an aldose reductase inhibitor: a 24-week controlled trial. Diabetologia 1985;28:323-329.
13. O'Hare JP, Morgan MH, Alden P, Chissel S, O'Brien AD, Corrall RJM. Aldose reductase inhibition in diabetic neuropathy: Clinical and neurophysiological studies of one year's treatment with sorbinil. Diabet Med 1988;5:537-542.
14. Guy RJC, Gilbey SG, Sheehy M, Asselman P, Watkins P. Diabetic neuropathy in the upper limb and the effect of twelve months sorbinil treatment. Diabetologia 1988;31: 214-220.
15. Consensus Statement. Report and Recommendations of the San Antonio Conference on Diabetic Neuropathy. Diabetes 1988;37:1000-1004.
16. Sima AAF, Brill V, Nathaniel T, et al. Regeneration and repair of myelinated fibres in sural nerve biopsy specimens from patients with diabetic neuropathy treated with sorbinil. N Engl J Med 1988;319:548-555.
17. Dyck PJ, Zimmerman BR, Vilen TH, et al. Nerve glucose, fructose, sorbitol, myo-inositol, and fiber degeneration and regeneration in diabetic neuropathy. N Engl J Med 1988;319: 542-548.
18. Gill JS, Williams G, Ghatei MA, Hetreed AH, Mather HM, Bloom SR. Effect of the aldose reductase inhibitor, ponalrestat, on diabetic neuropathy. Diabete Metab 1990;16:296-302.
19. Price DE, Alani SM, Wales JK. Effect of aldose reductase inhibition on resistance to ischemic conduction block in diabetic subjects. Diabetes Care 1991;14:411-413.
20. Ziegler D, Mayer P, Rathmann W, Gries FA. One-year treatment with the aldose reductase inhibitor, ponalrestat, in diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 1991;14:63-73.
21. Krentz AJ, Honigsberger L, Ellis SH, Hardman M, Nattrass M. A 12-month randomized controlled study of the aldose reductase inhibitor ponalrestat in patients with chronic symptomatic diabetic neuropathy. Diabet Med 1992;9:463-468.
22. Boulton AJM, Levin S, Comstock J. A multicentre trial of the aldose reductase inhibitor, tolrestat, in patients with symptomatic diabetic neuropathy. Diabetologia 1990;33: 431-437.
23. Macleod AF, Boulton AJM, Owens DR, et al. A multicentre trial of the aldose reductase inhibitor tolrestat in patients with symptomatic diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Diabete Metab 1992;18:14-20.
24. Santiago JV, Sonksen PH, Boulton AJM, et al. Withdrawal of the aldose reductase inhibitor tolrestat in patients with diabetic neuropathy: Effect on nerve function. J Diab Comp 1993;7:170-178.
25. Sima AAF, Greene DA, Brown MB, et al. Effect of hyperglycemia and the aldose inhibitor tolrestat on sural nerve biochemistry and morphometry in advanced diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy. J Diab Comp 1993;7:157-169.
26. Giugliano D, Marfella R, Quatraro A, et al. Tolrestat for mild diabetic neuropathy. A 52-week, randomized, placebo controlled trial. Ann Int Med 1993;118:7-11.
27. Giugliano D, Acampora R, Marfella R, et al. Tolrestat in the primary prevention of diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes Care 1995;18:536-541.
28. Didangelos TP, Karamitsos DT, Athyros VG, Kourtoglou GI. Effect of aldose reductase inhibition on cardiovascular reflex tests in patients with definite diabetic autonomic neuropathy over a period of 2 years. J Diab Comp 1998;12:201-207.
29. Greene DA, Arezzo J, Brown M. Effects of aldose reductase inhibition on nerve conduction and morphometry in diabetic neuropathy. Neurology 1999;53:580-591.
30. Hotta N, Toyota T, Matsuoka K, et al. Clinical efficacy of fidarestat, a novel aldose reduc-tase inhibitor, for diabetic peripheral neuropathy: a 52-week multicenter placebo-controlled double-blind parallel group study. Diabetes Care 2001;24:1776-1782.
31. Johnson BF, Nesto RW, Pfeifer MA, et al. Cardiac abnormalities in diabetic patients with neuropathy: effects of aldose reductase inhibitor administration. Diabetes Care 2004;27: 448-454.
Was this article helpful?